2017 Young Floridian Ryan Smart (LEFT)and Citizen of the Year Dr. Pedro "Joe" Greer (RIGHT) with Gov. Bob Graham (CENTER)
Former Governor and United States Senator Bob Graham and the Bob Graham Center for Public Service at the University of Florida have established the Bob Graham Center Florida Citizen of the Year & Young Floridian Award. These awards recognize individuals who have made substantial contributions to the state of Florida both professionally and civically.
1. To be eligible for either award, an individual must be a Floridian, residing in the state for at least the last five years.
2. The individual(s) selected for the awards should exhibit a commitment to the common good and a dedication to making Florida a better place to live and work.
3. A "Young Floridian" is defined as someone under the age of 40 and over the age of 18 by the nomination deadline.
4. Anyone holding public office or currently campaigning for office will not be considered.
5. Citizen of the Year and Young Floridian awards will not be presented posthumously.
6. Nominees will not be considered unless contact information is provided
1. Nominators should provide a brief statement explaining why the nominee warrants selection. Candidates are judged based on the following:
A record of professional and public distinction
Contributions to the state of Florida in a civic capacity outside or above the requirements of professional duty
Demonstrated commitment to a society that is free from bias and discrimination and celebrates diversity.
2. Nominators should submit the name and contact information of their candidate via email to Lynn Leverty email@example.com. Nominees will not be considered unless contact information is provided along with the brief statement.
3. Specify for which award you are nominating a candidate. If you are nominating for the Young Floridian Award, please specify the age of the nominee.
4. Nominations are welcomed from any source, although the candidate should not be self-nominated.
5. The nomination deadline is March 7, 2018.
In addition, nominators may provide up three pages of supporting documentation. For more information, call 352-846-1575 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Announcement, Duties, and the Award:
2. As part of the selection, award winners will be invited to address those attending the Bob Graham Center's Annual Gathering and to speak to students and the public at the Bob Graham Center for Public Service at the University of Florida.
3. Winners will receive a framed award and his or her name will be permanently enshrined on a plaque at the Bob Graham Center for Public Service in Pugh Hall at the University of Florida.